My Picks Carousel

August 5, 2008

Envy The Writer

Take some time out for Moments in Crime, St. Martin's Minotaur blog where Edgar Award finalist Michael Koryta is guest blogging this week. His new stand-alone novel, ENVY THE NIGHT, is in bookstores today, and has received high praise from Ridley Pearson (author of more than 20 novels, including the New York Times bestseller "Killer View", the Lou Boldt crime series, and many books for young readers):

"Reading James Crumley and John D. MacDonald set the writing hook in me: I wanted to write mysteries and thrillers. I wanted to be a storyteller.

Now, in Michael Koryta, all these years later, I've read the heir apparent to those masters. There is grit and determination in Michael's writing; there is heart and character; the threat of violence first simmers, then boils over. The pulse quickens. Envy The Night is everything this kind of novel is meant to be. A more fitting title: Envy The Writer.

It has been a long time since I've enjoyed a mystery novel as much as Envy The Night. This book had me from the first page, and much to my surprise, kept me reading hard and fast until the last.

What separates this book from others? One word: characters. Stories are stories. We all read (and write) a ton of them. But we come to novels to meet fresh faces, and Michael Koryta delivers.

This diabolical mystery novel, laid out in simple but eloquent prose and pitch-perfect dialogue, heralds a changing of the guard. I have seen the future of "The Best Mystery Writer in America" and its name is Michael Koryta."

No comments: